Reports to: Events Manager, General Manager
Hours: Full time (including weekends and evenings)
Our mission is to create the best beer experiences in the world. The Refectory Group and The Chapter Hall play a key part in that. Set in a Grade 2 listed building, The Old Flax store is at the heart of Northern Monk and the events we host here are integral to the company. From weddings to beer festivals, the space is a celebration of all things craft. We are delighted to offer a space in the historic building for bespoke events, tailor made to those who wish to celebrate with us.
Northern Monk is looking for a highly organised and passionate person to join our growing team at Northern Monk Refectory LDS as an Events Assistant. Working closely with the Events Manager, this role is not a standard 9-5. All applicants should be willing to work late nights and weekends in addition to some office hours to ensure smooth running of events both within the Refectory and our 200-capacity event space – The Chapter Hall.
Reporting to the Events Manager, you will both work closely with the General Manager. Supporting the team in taking bookings for tables and brewery tours, as well as liaising with clients to increase the footfall across all service periods and the number of events held in the Chapter Hall.
In addition, the Events Assistant will play a key role in running events in the Chapter Hall, both as support to the Events Manager and as the key contact for clients. As a result, we are looking for someone with experience in a customer facing role. We are incredibly proud of the events that we host in the Chapter Hall and we are looking for candidates who value quality and excellence with a keen eye for detail.
Customer service will be a large part of this role, both face to face and by phone and email so the candidate will need to have excellent communication skills and the ability to problem solve.
We believe we have a strong internal culture and the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate our values of community and collaboration. In return you’ll be part of a team of people working together to achieve the same goal. In addition to 29 days annual leave you’ll have two days a year to volunteer with a local charity, a pension with the People’s pension, birthday and anniversary presents, free fruit at work and plenty of beer! Once you’ve been with us for a year, you’ll qualify for an annual health check and Cycle2 Work scheme.
We offer opportunities to progress professionally with access to internal and external training and the chance to attend some of the best beer events. Northern Monk is committed to providing a world class working environment and we’re proud to say that our employees agree.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The following outlines the roles and responsibilities of the post holder:
- Respond to all booking enquiries by phone and email in a timely manner ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- To maintain a high level of professionalism in all correspondence relating to Northern Monk.
- Support the Events Manager with regards to meetings and viewings of the Chapter Hall.
- To ensure customers always receive a high standard of customer service.
- To maintain a high level of organisation in the Chapter Hall, taking responsibility for the cleanliness to ensure the space is always presentable for viewings. Also working with Refectory LDS team to ensure all staff are maintaining the standards set for the space.
- To communicate all bookings to staff in a way that is easy to follow and understand if you are not present to communicate in person.
- To work effectively as part of a team during events such as weddings and delegate tasks to the team as necessary.
- To be the ‘go to’ Front of House staff at events when necessary.
- Maintain excellent relations with suppliers through face-to-face meetings, telephone calls and emails as is appropriate.
- Assist with other areas of The Refectory as requested.
- Attend and contribute to team meetings when required and share best practice with colleagues.
- Be comfortable representing the values and ethos of the company always.
- Motivate, organise and encourage teamwork.
- Must be passionate about the brand and achieving something incredible.
- React quickly and positively to changing priorities.
- Provide consistent and accurate updates to line manager regarding all areas of work.
- Possess a positive attitude to a busy work environment and a willingness to work long or flexible hours when required.
- Contribute to team effort by completing other tasks as needed.
Code of Conduct: Northern Monk expects all its members of staff to adhere to standards of processes, procedures and code of conduct. Specifically:
– Working on multiple work streams to a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
– Demonstrating the company ethos and approach to partners and contacts through your professionalism, knowledge and enthusiasm
– Protecting and promoting the organisation’s values by keeping critical information confidential
– Being a team player and contributing to the Monk values and ethos.
In return, we are committed to respecting and valuing all staff, achieving a good work/life balance, giving staff the space to learn and grow alongside the brewery and ensuring all staff play a role in developing and delivering our vision and plans.