Reports to: Shift Lead Brewer
Hours: 37.5 per week, over 5 shifts
Pay: £19,380 – £24,000 per annum
Northern Monk is focused on delivering the highest level of quality and consistency across the entire business. This crucially starts within production of our beer and is a vital element to us achieving our goal – to create the best beer experiences in the world, growing in stature as we grow in scale. To be successful in this role you must show a passion and commitment to quality.
This role sits alongside our Brewers and under a Shift Lead Brewer at our production facility. In this role, you will have an opportunity to shape the experience for the beer drinker, we value thoughtfulness and creativity, and we hope to find someone who is interested in being part of the team at the forefront of our mission. We are looking for someone who is passionate about beer, knows the importance of attention to detail, and is well-organised and comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are also important, as you will be working closely with all other teams at Northern Monk, especially the packaging and warehouse teams.
We’re extremely proud of our craft and will be looking for applicants that share our enthusiasm and drive for quality. Our Operations Team are at the core of our business and as a result we put their faces on the finished product so everyone knows who made the beer – you could be on there too!
We’re committed to improving the diversity of our Production Team, so if you don’t have the relevant experience but are part of a group that is underrepresented in the beer industry, we would love to hear from you. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace and we’d love to hear from candidates who want to be part of that.
In return, you’ll be part of a team of people working together to achieve the same goal. In addition to 29 days holiday, you’ll have two days a year to volunteer with a local charity, a pension with the People’s pension, birthday and anniversary treats, free fruit at work and plenty of beer. Once you’ve been with us a year, you’ll qualify for an annual health check and the Cycle2Work scheme. We offer the opportunity to progress professionally with access to internal and external training and the chance to attend some of the best beer events across the world.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following outlines the roles and responsibilities of the post holder:
- Production of wort
- Cellar tasks including dry-hopping, centrifuging, transfers, tank cleans etc
- Assist the Brew team on achieving production targets including Quality scores, Achievement vs Plan and Monthly Audits
- Assist the Brew team in delivering on our Quality Programme
- Maintain a high standard of data logging and record keeping
- Working to a brewery schedule to ensure that the beer can be released in line with the business needs
- Ensure the cleanliness, efficiency and functionality of brewery equipment
- Maintain high standards of health and safety
- Ensure to work in way which minimises wastage and excess cost without compromising product quality
- Provide a superior customer service at all times in person and via telephone calls and emails
IDENTIFYING TRENDS AND OPPORTUNITIES
- Seek out educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintain personal networks; participate in professional organisations.
- Research improvements in equipment, processes, packing materials, etc and keep up to date on relevant changes to legislation.
- Feed relevant information back to Northern Monk HQ and take ownership for improvements that will make our beer & beer experiences better.
- Attend and contribute to team meetings when required and share best practice with colleagues;
- Represent Northern Monk at exhibitions and events (sometimes during evenings and weekends)
- Motivate, organise and encourage teamwork
- Provide consistent and accurate updates to line manager regarding all areas of work
- Possess a positive attitude to a busy work environment and a willingness to work long or flexible hours when required
- Contribute to team effort by completing other tasks as needed
Code of Conduct: Northern Monk expects all its members of staff to adhere to standards of processes, procedures and code of conduct. Specifically:
– Working on multiple work streams to a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
– Demonstrating the company ethos and approach to partners and contacts through your professionalism, knowledge and enthusiasm
– Protecting and promoting the organisation’s values by keeping critical information confidential;
– Being a team player and contributing to the Monk values and ethos.
In return, we are committed to respecting and valuing all staff, achieving a good work/life balance, giving staff the space to learn and grow alongside the brewery and ensuring all staff play a role in developing and delivering our vision and plans.