SHIFT LEAD BREWER
Reports to: Brewery Manager, Operations Manager
Hours: 37.5 per week, over 5 shifts.
Shift Pattern: Monday – Friday (6am – 2pm OR 12pm – 8pm OR 9am – 5pm) with one in three half day weekend shifts which is given as time back in lieu the following week.
Salary: Dependent on experience
Northern Monk is at an exciting time of growth. We are brewing and delivering more beer than ever! We are dedicated to supplying our customers with the best possible beer that we can brew. In order to do this, we are looking for someone to join our brewing and cellaring team as a Shift Lead Brewer. This role sits under our Brewery Manager, alongside another Lead Brewer and is based at our main production facility. Currently, each shift consists of up to three people. In this role, you will have an opportunity to shape the experience for the beer drinker, we value innovation and creativity and we hope to find someone who is interested in being part of the team at the forefront of our mission.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about beer, knows the importance of attention to detail, is well-organised and comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment. Being the Shift Lead Brewer will require strong interpersonal and communication skills as you will be working closely with all other teams at Northern Monk, especially the packaging, sales and warehouse teams.
We’re extremely proud of our craft and will be looking for applicants that share our enthusiasm and drive for quality. Our Operations Team are at the core of our business and as a result we put their faces on the finished product so everyone knows who made the beer – you could be on there too!
We’re committed to improving the diversity of our Production Team, so if you don’t have all the relevant experience but are part of a group that is underrepresented in the beer industry, we would love to hear from you. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace and we’d love to hear from candidates who want to be part of that.
In return, you’ll be part of a team of people working together to achieve the same goal. In addition to 29 days holiday, you’ll have two days a year to volunteer with a local charity, a pension with the People’s pension, birthday and anniversary treats, free fruit at work and plenty of beer. Once you’ve been with us a year, you’ll qualify for an annual health check and the Cycle2Work scheme.
We offer the opportunity to progress professionally with access to internal and external training and the chance to attend some of the best beer events across the world. Northern Monk is committed to providing a world class working environment and we proud to say that our employees agree!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following outlines the roles and responsibilities of the post holder:
• Lead a brewing and cellaring shift team
• Ensure wort production is completed to our quality standards
• Ensure cellar tasks are completed to our quality standards
• Maintain a high standard of data logging and record keeping
• Working to a brewery schedule to ensure that the beer can be released in line with the business needs
• Ensure the cleanliness, efficiency and functionality of brewery equipment
• Maintain high standards of health and safety
• Ensure to work in a way which minimises wastage and excess cost without compromising product quality
SUPPLIER CONTACT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE:
• Establish and maintain a good relationship with suppliers via telephone calls when required.
• Provide a superior customer service at all times in person and via telephone calls and emails.
IDENTIFYING TRENDS AND OPPORTUNITIES:
• Seek out educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintain personal networks; participate in professional organisations.
• Research improvements in equipment, processes, packing materials, etc and keep up to date on relevant changes to legislation.
• Feed relevant information back to Northern Monk HQ.
• Attend and contribute to team meetings when required and share best practice with colleagues;
• Represent Northern Monk at exhibitions and events (sometimes during evenings and weekends).
• Motivate, organise and encourage teamwork.
• Provide consistent and accurate updates to line manager regarding all areas of work.
• Possess a positive attitude to a busy work environment and a willingness to work long or flexible hours when required.
• Contribute to team effort by completing other tasks as needed.
Code of Conduct: Northern Monk expects all its members of staff to adhere to standards of processes, procedures and code of conduct. Specifically:
– Working on multiple work streams to a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
– Demonstrating the company ethos and approach to partners and contacts through your professionalism, knowledge and enthusiasm
– Protecting and promoting the organisation’s values by keeping critical information confidential;
– Being a team player and contributing to the Monk values and ethos.
In return, we are committed to respecting and valuing all staff, achieving a good work/life balance, giving staff the space to learn and grow alongside the brewery and ensuring all staff play a role in developing and delivering our vision and plans.